Rangers have given up on signing Liverpool forward Ryan Kent after manager Steven Gerrard admitted he had been told to move on from the winger. Merseyside club now look ready to keep U20 England international after failing to offload him before the summer transfer window closed.
Unless he moves abroad, Ryan will remain at Anfield and try to fight for his place in the first-team squad. Many had believed that he would come back to Ibrox Stadium this campaign after a fantastic season for the last year. Kent scored six league goals in 27 matches for the Gers last year.
But German manager announced that he would not be allowed to leave on loan this transfer window after he failed to impress on Reds pre-season tour of America. Merseyside club placed a price tag of £8m on the 22-year-old forward, and there was interest from Leeds United before the transfer window closed.
There was hope that the Scottish club would make another move for English winger, but Steven admitted defeat in his pursuit of the attacker after Rangers beat FC Midtjylland 4-2 in a Europa League qualifier on Thursday evening.
The coach did, however, confirm that Man City forward Brandon Barker was close to finalising a loan move to Ibrox. “We haven’t signed Brandon yet. He is having a medical. It’s close,” said Steven. “Would that be it in terms of the team? Who knows. “I don’t think it is a secret we tried to get Ryan Kent to come back.