Chelsea have joined the race to sign Ligue 1 giants Lyon attacking midfielder Nabil Fekir ahead of Liverpool, according to the reports from France.
The 25-year-old France international forward was on the verge of joining the Merseyside Reds in a £53 million contract in June, however, the move collapsed following the players medical.
The Merseyside Reds raised concerns over Fekir’s right knee after he needed two operations in the space of 12 months to fix a cruciate ligament rupture in September 2015. Jurgen Klopp’s side subsequently pulled out of the deal and Fekir still remains a Lyon player with the transfer window due to close on Thursday evening.
But according to France Football, now Liverpool’s direct Premier League rivals Chelsea have joined the race and will launch an attempt to sign Fekir before the end of the summer transfer window.
The Blues have already been boosted by securing the services of Brazilian-born midfielder Jorginho from Napoli, however, Maurizio Sarri is keen for strengthening the squad.
‘I think we need something, but maybe only a player,’ Sarri said last week.
‘We have very good midfielders, but maybe a midfielder with different characteristics would be a good fit.’
Fekir, meanwhile, has returned to the training ground but refused to rule out a possible move to Premier League.
‘As you can see, I am in Lyon. I am very happy here,’ Fekir told Lyon’s official TV channel on Monday.
‘But the transfer window is still long and everything goes very quickly in football.
‘We don’t know what will happen in the future but I am very happy at Lyon.”